[PlanetCCRMA] CCRMA and 64 bit Fedora

Wed Aug 10 10:38:01 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 23:41, Tracey Hytry wrote:
> Brad Fuller wrote:
> > Mark wrote:
> > > Nor do I think there are enough users yet to warrant the work involved.
> > >
> > for the record, count me as one ;-)
>
> My machine(this machine) is also an athlon 64 also. I doubt if they are that rare.
>
> I'm sure I could get better performance out of this with everything built
> for the 64bit system.

I'm not so sure but I have not tried :-) Meaning, I don't know how much
more performance from the same hardware you will get when switching to a
64 bit os... maybe 5 - 10%? (just guessing). I think the real advantage
is when you start using more than 4G real RAM.

> We have other machines here running the planet's
> setup and I probably wouldn't want to have another setup just for this
> machine right now anyway.
>
> It seems that it's hard enough to keep the planet updated to the newest
> fedora release without having the extra problems of building for another
> arch.  Maybe down the line there will be more reason to get together an
> athlon and athlon64 version?

Maybe one is that all new CCRMA machines will be dual core Athlon64
based? I think I will eventually rebuild on 64 (after all this is all
for CCRMA, right? :-)

The renovation of The Knoll (our building) is almost complete. We've
been living in temporary trailers for the past year and we're almost
ready to begin moving into the new building (and that's why I've been so
busy and keep saying "sorry I didn't have time to do this or that",
pretty much like a mantra). The move also involves new computers,
servers, a/v stuff.... We're going nuts with so much stuff to do.

> If someone asks me about what kind of a machine to buy, I'm going to
> say an athlon for audio work;  and I'm sure we're going to see a lot
> more athlon and athlon64 users here as we go.
>
> Even though only one of the four machines around here that can do serious
> audio work is an intel(two are athlon, this one athlon64);  I am can be
> realistic about how much Fernando can do, and as such can wait.

I have a lot to catch up to after the bulk of the move is done.
-- Fernando