[PlanetCCRMA] Jack and Cinelerra

Joseph Dell'Orfano fullgo@dellorfano.net
Sun Aug 7 11:50:01 2005

Ha! OK. CTRL-ALT-DEL

Unfortunately I don't have first hand experience with video capture. I
will be going in this direction as I intend to use a linux computer for
a home theater. Here is a link that may point you in the right
direction: http://infohost.nmt.edu/~kscott/video/

Well, your post has made me aware of MythTV
(http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO.html#toc1) which I think I will
fiddle around with. A quick look at the documentation shows that MythTV
stores files as MPEG-2. This post
(https://init.linpro.no/pipermail/skolelinux.no/cinelerra/2005-
July/003828.html) tells how to use cinelerra with captured mpeg2 files
from a video capture card. Basically you need to run mpeg3toc on the
files to create a *.toc file. This file can be opened directly in
cinelerra for editing.

Mark, I do share your pain with video editing. My previous post
summarized over a year's work getting familiar with this stuff. I am
just a hobbyist with no experience writing code. At this point, my pain
has paid off because I have enough experience with it to do what I want
to do. This is really the price of "free" software! If you account for
what my time is worth, I have paid a handsome price for my video editing
suite!

Good luck and thanks for the tip about MythTV!

-Joe D