[PlanetCCRMA] No sound output on FC3

Brad Fuller brad@sonaural.com
Wed Apr 20 14:27:01 2005

Tim Berghoff wrote:

> Hi!
>
> When starting FC3 and running XMMS I don't hear anything unless I go
> to the sound control Panel  and unmute the PCM channels, which are
> always muted and turned down on startup.
> My XMMS output Plugin is ALSA and the device should be 'default'.
> Why does that happen and how can I fix ist?

Don't know if you've tried alsastore, or if it's a issue with XMMS.
But:
This section tells you about alsastore:
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/installkernelandsound.html#SECTION00033200000000000000
(even though it's under the FC1 section, it's applicable)

In a nutshell: set your mixer to your desired settings. then:
/usr/sbin/alsactl store

To retreive your setting:
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore

It has been reported that this doesn't always work under FC3 (see
archives) after reboot. I reported it as not working too, but now it
works fine for me.

brad