[PlanetCCRMA] Requesting help choosing audio card

Keith Hanlon kamera@gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 06:39:01 2005

Frode Petersen wrote:

> More newbie ponderings regarding this:
> One thing that is a bit unclear to me regarding needs, is what exactly
> outputs are used for. If you want to use different softsynths through
> ,say Rosegarden, and maybe some audio tracks simultaneously, but only
> need to produce a stereo mix, or even create a CD directly, do you need
> more than a pair of outputs? What would the benefits of added outputs be?

Frode,

I'm such a linux audio newbie that I don't even have my DAW set up for
it yet. I'm still running Windows XP with Vegas. I'm looking forward to
installing CCRMA soon... :)

I have used multiple outputs for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, I want
to send a signal to a hardware unit and record it back in. I have a few
units that aren't EXACTLY reproducable with a plugin (spring reverb, for
example). So I'll need two outputs for sending the signal (if it's
stereo) and two outputs to send to my board for monitoring.

I recently started experimenting with mixing through my board as well.
It's a very different way to work, and sometimes I prefer it. I can send
the mix to my 2-track analog machine, or record it back into the computer.

Keith

http://www.citizenkeith.com
http://www.orchestraville.com
AIM: citizenkeithguy