[PlanetCCRMA] Configuring 2.6.11-0.3.rdt.rhfc2.ccrma for 0 xruns...

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Wed Apr 13 14:33:02 2005

On 4/13/05, Aaron Trumm <aaron@nquit.com> wrote:
> >    One thing I did notice was that when doing copies from one drive to
> > another the machine was bumping up against 100% CPU. It typically was
> > running at 70% CPU with spikes going higher. Possibly this is normal
> > CPU usage as I'm sure Linux wants to copy the files as fast as it can.
> > This may not be an issue during recording as Ardour will limit how
> > much disk usage it requires. None the less I don't want xruns.
>
> Do some real world type tests - get 16 or 24 or 32 tracks of audio playing
> back for three minutes, recording back in to 2 channels of ardour - let's
> see what happens there ...

Will do - Probably this afternoon.

Currently I'm setting Ardour up to use all three 1394 drives. That's
takign far longer than I hoped as I have to copy GigBytes of data
around and fix up partitions to get it to all mount and make sense. On
the good side when it's done I've calculated I'll have over 40MB/S
drive throughput. That's about double what I've had in the past.

After I wrote the earlier messages I tried running at 64/2 on this
machine. It jsut won't do it. xruns even with non-threaded operation
on the hdsp.

- Mark