[PlanetCCRMA] Requesting help choosing audio card

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Wed Apr 13 10:33:52 2005

Aaron,
   M-audio makes good cards. Keep in mind that they have in the past
given great support to Linux audio development but they are now owned
by DigiDesign and may or may not give so much support in the future.
So much for politics.

   I own an AP2496. It works well under Linux when I use it here.
Currently it's in a Windows box trying out DigiDesign's new M-Powered.
Seems to work well for that also.

   I use an RME HDSP 9652. After a rough start with the card a couple
of years ago it works very well now. So do the Multiface and Digiface
devices, as do the older Hammerfalls if you can find them.

   I think it will be hard to tell you what's 'best'. How many
channels do you need? (Input, output at the same time) Do you have
loads of external equipment or a single mic? There's a lot to think
about when you start gettign into this.

Cheers,
Mark