[PlanetCCRMA] Re: PlanetCCRMA on RHEL?

William M. Quarles walrus@bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 10 18:07:01 2005

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 08:05, Arnaud Gomes-do-Vale wrote:
>
>>"William M. Quarles" <walrus@bellsouth.net> writes:
>>
>>>Well technically RHEL as a whole is a derivative work, so
>>
>>No, it is a collection of various software pieces. Most of it is free,
>>but there is some proprietary stuff, mainly some pictures like the Red
>>Hat logo itself.
>
> And the use of Red Hat trademarks (that includes mention of Red Hat
> itself and the logos and other "marks" that are theirs).
>

>>At keast this is my understanding. ;-)
>

> That is correct, AFAIK. See:

Here it is, our answer in the license agreement.  It took me a while to
find.  The only trick to redistributing any of the software is Red Hat's
trademarks.  I wonder how well that sits with GPL compliance though.
Perhaps trademark law supersedes the GPL's terms.

****

Appendix 1
LICENSE AGREEMENT AND LIMITED PRODUCT WARRANTY RED HAT® ENTERPRISE
LINUX® AND RED HAT® APPLICATIONS

This agreement governs the use of the Software and any updates to the
Software, regardless of the delivery mechanism. The Software is a
collective work under U.S. Copyright Law. Subject to the following
terms, Red Hat, Inc. ("Red Hat") grants to the user ("Customer") a
license to this collective work pursuant to the GNU General Public License.

1. The Software. Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Red Hat Applications (the
"Software") are either a modular operating system or application
consisting of hundreds of software components. The end user license
agreement for each component is located in the component's source code.
With the exception of certain image files identified in Section 2 below,
the license terms for the components permit Customer to copy, modify,
and redistribute the component, in both source code and binary code
forms. This agreement does not limit Customer's rights under, or grant
Customer rights that supersede, the license terms of any particular
component.