[PlanetCCRMA] FC3 versus FC2 - experiences [was: wierd hanging of jack, or some other process using fc3 edge kernel]

wayne mrgrimm@radioactivecatfish.com
Fri Apr 8 03:55:02 2005

--------------090500060300050904080806

hey shayne,
  just a question about your settings: you have

input channels: 16

 does this mean you can record 16 audio channels at a time?  i didnt
think the emu/sblive supported more than recording 1 input audio channel
at a time... could you explain your setup?

thanks, wayne

Shayne O'Connor wrote:

>Shayne O'Connor wrote:
>

>>Mark Knecht wrote:
>>

>>>On Apr 6, 2005 8:23 AM, Shayne O'Connor

>>>I couldn't get FC3 to even install on my Wife's hyperthreading machine
>>>using the standard or SMP kernels. FC2 runs really well. Since all
>>>three of use run Linux on our day-to-day machines I ended up stucking
>>>with FC2 to make everything consistent. They are all Planet updated
>>>with normal (non-edge) stuff. Things are working well.
>>>

>>FC3 seems to be OK - i'm just gonna have to get off planet-edge, methinks.
>>

>well, i've managed to get my FC3 setup back on track - after much
>stupidity messing around with alsa cvs drivers, i finally did the
>sensible thing and settled on the previous alsa packages (had to fully
>delete /lib/modules/2.6.11-rhfc3ccrma.rdt, or whatever, to get this
>kernel and its alsa modules working again) ... the 1.08 alsa for EMU10K1
>provides the multi-channel *capture* patch, luckily enough, so i can do
>without the multi-channel playback for the moment.
>

>things are looking mighty fine with this current setup, though:
>
>*rtirq assigns priorities and interrupts as it should
>*alsa starts up fine :)
>*system is rock-solid with these settings in qjackctl:
>
>input device: hw:0,2
>ouput device: hw:0
>
>input channels: 16
>output channels: 2 (you can leave input/output as '0' in qjackctl)
>
>sample rate: 48000
>
>frames: 128 (seems pretty rock-solid even down to 64 frames, but i won't
>confirm that until i've had a pretty good recording session at that sort
>of buffer)
>
>priority: 62 (is this correct? i changed this setting cos that's how i
>interpreted Fernando's info about jackd using this priority now)
>
>realtime: 1
>
>unlock memory: 1
>

>looking good - thanx for the help on this one Fernando!
>
>shayne

--------------090500060300050904080806

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
hey shayne,<br>
&nbsp; just a question about your settings: you have <br>
<pre wrap="">input channels: 16</pre>
&nbsp;does this mean you can record 16 audio channels at a time?&nbsp; i didnt
think the emu/sblive supported more than recording 1 input audio
channel at a time... could you explain your setup?<br>
thanks, wayne<br>
Shayne O'Connor wrote:
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">Shayne O'Connor wrote:

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Mark Knecht wrote:

    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">On Apr 6, 2005 8:23 AM, Shayne O'Connor

      </pre>
        <pre wrap="">what are other people's experiences vis-a-vis stable kernel on FC3?

        </pre>
      <pre wrap="">I couldn't get FC3 to even install on my Wife's hyperthreading machine
using the standard or SMP kernels. FC2 runs really well. Since all
three of use run Linux on our day-to-day machines I ended up stucking
with FC2 to make everything consistent. They are all Planet updated
with normal (non-edge) stuff. Things are working well.

      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">FC3 seems to be OK - i'm just gonna have to get off planet-edge, methinks.

    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->