[PlanetCCRMA] FC3 planetccrma-core-edge kernel and USB-stick manual mount

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Wed Apr 6 10:54:01 2005

On Apr 6, 2005 7:16 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 6, 2005 7:05 AM, Michele Spinolo <michele.spinolo@tin.it> wrote:
> > Nice!
> >
> > It works now: strangely the device used is again /dev/sda , but I am sure it
> > was not present in the past session! ???

Just in case this is helpful, please be aware that Linux handling of
any hotplug hard drive is particularly inelegant with respect to what
a SCSI device it becomes when it is mounted. Linux doesn't do anything
more than attach them as devices based on the order it finds them.
Therefore if you turn drives on in a different order Linux is free to
reorder what /dev/sdX name it gives them. This applies to SCSI, 1394
(Firewire) and USB drives, and it may apply to others that I do not
know about.

Anyway, the only way I know to get around this messiness is to use
file systems that allow your partitions to be mounted by name instead
of by /dev/sdX number. For instance, using

LABEL=music             /home/mark/music                ext3
rw,noauto,user 0 0

instead of
/dev/sdb3             /home/mark/music                ext3    rw,noauto,user 0 0

allows me to mount a partition labeled 'music' no matter what /dev/sd#
number it's given.

NOTE: This does not work with FAT32 type partitions as they cannot be named.

I suspect that you may have multiple devices that are coming up with
different /dev/sd# numbers depending on how and when you attach them.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mark