[PlanetCCRMA] wierd hanging of jack, or some other process using fc3 edge kernel

Mon Apr 4 12:58:01 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 04:56, Shayne O'Connor wrote:
> this is pretty vague, but i've been getting sporadic hanging of - i
> think - the jack daemon with the latest CCRMA edge kernel for fedora
> core 3.
>
> what happens is this. either:
>
> * i start jack with qjackctl, and then have a session with ardour,
> hydrogen, and maybe some VST effects. sometimes, after closing hydrogen
> and ardour, i'll press the "stop" button on qjactctl - but it will just
> hang at that inbetween "stopping" state, never actually stopping
> completely until i reboot.
>
> * or, i go to start jack, which will fire up - but with no input/output
> channels, and ardour complaining that the current song was recorded at
> 48000khz, not 0hz (yes - that's the sample rate that qjackctl shows!).
> if i then stop jack, it will stop, but will not start again until i
> reboot. i guess there is some interesting messages when it shuts down,
> too - when it tries to umount /home, it is busy, along
> with /var/lib/jack/tmp.
>
> when i run gnome-system-monitor to try and kill jack, it doesn't show
> jackd at all, but rather some blank processes that apparently aren't
> using any resources, but are sure preventing my system from functioning
> correctly.
>
> here's a screenshot of the processes window:
>
> http://www.machinehasnoagenda.com/images/unknown_process.gif
>
> this isn't happening *all* the time, but enough to move me to action :)

Have you looked at /var/log/messages or the output of dmesg? I smells
like something is causing a kernel oops, and after that happens all bets
are off in terms of how usable the system remains.

-- Fernando