[PlanetCCRMA] Pulling USB cable on FC2 machine causes keyboard and network to crash...

jim branagan ccrma@themusenashville.com
Sat Apr 2 02:06:01 2005

>>I think I've read of similar things happening (don't remember on which
>>list). Most probably a kernel bug.
>>

>OK. In that case where do I report it? (Assuming I try it again and
>the problem repeats...)  To Alsa's mantis site and let them deal with
>it? Someplace else?

Is USB hotplugging supposed to work in linux?  I always assumed this was
one of those rough edges we didn't have right yet.  I seem to be able to
hotplug a keyboard or a mouse, but trying with a USB drive, digital
camera or CD writer crashes, hangs, or causes other weird behavior.
I've almost never tried to reproduce such behavior; in fact I generally
avoid doing anything I'm afraid will crash the machine.  When I tried
the camera and USB hard drive on a new FC3 installation, plugging in the
USB drive or unplugging either the hard drive or the camera crashed the
machine so hard there isn't even an oops in the logs.

--
e. james branagan
the MUSE § Nashville, TN