[PlanetCCRMA] FC2.1vP9 - jackstart just quits...

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Wed Sep 29 14:07:02 2004

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
<SNIP>
>>>This is definitely a problem with the P9 kernel in your hardware.
>>
>>Seems to be. I do not think it's specifically the hardware.
>

> I mean the combination of your harware and this particular kernel.

Yes, I understood. However, showing that other kernels work isn't a bad
thing in terms of data collection. It helps me anyway be more sure when
I go back and look later.

<SNIP>
>>How do I get your kernel to set up APIC interrupts? Or have you disabled
>>that in your kernel build?
>

> Hmmm, I'm not sure. I don't know if I have that disabled... Just checked
> and all "APIC" options are "y". Do you have acpi on or off in the planet
> ccrma kernel boot line? The default is "on", so try with "acpi=off" in
> the boot line.

No options of that type, but I am somewhat concerned now about the way
the kernel is booted. The grub line uses:

kernel long_name ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet

1) Why am I using a LABEL statement on a multi-distro hard drive? I
don't think I labeled the root partition of the Gentoo installation, but
this command seems a bit dangerous. What happens if there are two
partitions labeled '/'? I'll change that to just go to /dev/hda9 for safety.

2) What are the options rhgb and quiet doing?

> I have seen problems with acpi=on and interrupts in an smp machine,
> maybe it is not only with smp that that happens.

I'll try them both explicitly. Easy to make boot options in grub.

Thanks!
- Mark