[PlanetCCRMA] FC2 Bleeding Edge install question

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Sep 28 13:22:01 2004

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 01:09:00PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> First problem is that I'm getting burned by the default Fedora
> installation of the firewall and cannot ssh into the machine. Do you
> know how to either open port 22 in the firewall or to disable the
> firewall completely?

/etc/init.d/iptables stop will disable the firewall,
system-config-securitylevel will let you make finegrained changes (a
better option IMHO).

> Taking a quick look at dmesg I see a number of ugly messages concerning
> the onboard ATI sound chip, one of them being some sort of threaded IRQ
> message about IRQ5. Following that I see lots of codec timeout messages.
> Not to worry until I look at the actual Alsa config files.

The threaded... stuff is the kernel patches in action.

> Looking at /proc/interrupts it seems that most stuff is there. The sound
> chip is on IRQ 10 shared with USB and cardbus stuff, neither of which do
> I expect to make much use of.
>
> One good first step is that the 1394 drivers loaded. The FC2 core didn't
> do that for me. Thanks for turning that on as external hard drives are
> important. Unfortunately I attached a 1394 drive and I see no indication
> in dmesg that it was recognized. I'll check mor eon that later.

Some people have had problems with 1394 in 2.6, it may be better now, and
I have mounted a firewire disk on my 2.6 laptop OK. Performance was better
than I remember in 2.4.

- Steve