[PlanetCCRMA] Fedora 1 or 2

Andrew Wilson djazz@myrealbox.com
Mon Sep 27 18:35:02 2004

--=-kkuFWVxc8YHwHOg0K8Rv

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 20:51, R Parker wrote:

> --- Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

<snip>

> > I've upgraded from 1 to 2 on a few machines and it
> > went quite smoothly.
> > The planet packages may need a bit of cooercion to
> > force an upgrade, I
> > think I had to remove the -core package and install
> > the new one.A

I have upgraded from RH8 -> RH9 -> FC1 -> FC2 all online without
installing from scratch.  In each case all I did was edit sources.list
to point to the new repository and let a "apt-get dist-upgrade" do it's
stuff.   As Steve said some of the packages needed some help to force
the upgrade.  Usually the upgrade will get stuck on one or two packages
then there is a little bit of work to track the dependencies back,
remove and reinstall "problem" package and kick it off again.

The RH8 to RH9 was the most painful upgrade.  FC1 -> FC2 was really
quite painless.  Shows how the packages in general are maturing.  Also
for the record, the planet packages were the least troublesome.

Lastly my $0.02: As a current FC2 user, if you are doing audio work stay
on FC1 for the time being.

Cheers,
Andrew

--=-kkuFWVxc8YHwHOg0K8Rv