[PlanetCCRMA] Fedora 1 or 2

R Parker rtp405@yahoo.com
Mon Sep 27 13:01:01 2004

--- Mark Knecht <markknecht@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 06:46, R Parker wrote:
> > The solutions for low latency in 2.6 are in the
> early
> > stages of development. I think the average 2.6
> user on
> > these lists is someone that's interested in
> testing
> > and reporting performance. The 2.4 kernel has been
> > running stable for a pretty fair amount of time.
> Maybe
> > a couple years or even longer.
> >
> > ron
>
> Some of us are stuck. I have a new laptop with a new
> chipset.

The first guy with the HDSP and now another new
chipset...I'm not feeling sorry for you. Maybe a bit
jealous. :)

 I get no
> DMA support with a kernel older than 2.6.3, and I
> get no realtime
> support with a kernel newer than 2.4.X.

I know nothing about DMA but was under the impression
that 2.6.N had low latency and realtime work being
done on it. Is the DMA needed for firewire drives or
is it used all over the place?

By realtime you mean the capability to prioritize
tasks, right? I recall comments to the affect of
Ingo's patches performing comparibly with true
realtime systems.

> what's a guy to do?

I'm fresh out of chickens but some grey squirrel
sacrifices might make strong vodo.

ron