[PlanetCCRMA] Gentoo vs. Fedora 1/2, plus Q's about my hardware

R Parker rtp405@yahoo.com
Mon Sep 27 07:06:01 2004

--- "Patrick - DJUnderground.com"
<djunderground@gmail.com> wrote:

> My Setup:
> (System 1)
> Dell Inspiron 8200 1.70ghz Pentium 4-Mobile
> 512mb RAM
> 40gb hard drive
> M-Audio Quattro USB
> Evolution MK-225C Keyboard

You should be able to find some other M-Audio Quattro
users on the mailing lists--certainly on the linux
audio user list.

> Which Kernel to use?
> It looks as if 2.4.x is the way to go.  Is there any
> specific 2.4.x
> kernel to use?  Why not use 2.6.x?  Is there any
> downfall whatsoever
> to using 2.6, and is it not recommended?  I'm not
> looking to spend a
> million hours trying to figure out what's wrong -
> instead I'd rather
> use something that will work.
>
> Gentoo vs Fedora 1/2
> I've grown quite fond of Gentoo over the past few
> months, mainly
> because of its ability to fine tune and tweak the
> kernel to the exact
> specs you want it to.  On the other hand, I use
> Fedora Core 2 on my
> VPS for all my web hosting clients.  I actually
> installed FC2 on the
> Pavilion and was quite impressed at how quick and
> painless it was to
> install.  FC2 compared to Gentoo is simple, so
> simple I thought I
> missed a step with the automatic install :)

If you like something, then that's enough reason to
select it over another. The distrobutions are all
Linux kernel based, all of them are configurable it's
just that the distributers have different methods of
aproaching the tasks. There's also some interesting
political/philosophical reasons for choosing one over
another.

The choice of 2.4 vs 2.6 depends upon your objective.
It seems that you want to dig in and work on music. I
think that makes 2.4 the better technical choice
because its low latency operation is appreciably more
tested than 2.6.

Fernando stays ontop of the kernel developments and
when he feels good about 2.6, he'll announce it. In
the kernel realm, I need to use this software and
don't have time for testing. That means 2.4 is my
choice until other people say 2.6 is ready.

I've used Debian, RH, and Gentoo and have switched
between them several times. I'm currently running
Plaent CCRMA and think it's great. I don't intend to
switch any time soon. If for no other reason, I don't
have time to learn another system.

ron