[PlanetCCRMA] installing modules for an Asus TV-FM card

Sun Sep 26 15:36:01 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 11:24, Normand Fisher wrote:
> In order to get my Asus TV FM card working, I need to add a module
> (saa7134).
> First, should I get such a module specifically for the Planet CCRMA
> kernel (2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrma) and, if not, where could I find a
> compatible module and then, is that going to cause problems when I do my
> next apt-get dist-upgrade?

Kernel modules have to be built for the kernel you are running. A module
built for another kernel will not work. If you find the source, build
the module and install it it should work, and it should not interfere
with future dist-upgrades (apt will know nothing about what you added
"by hand"). Obviously for newer or different kernels you will need to
rebuild the module for the newer kernel.

> Many questions but I am starting and so far I've been impressed by the
> sound side of things of this distro and would prefer not to upset a very
> nice "audio station" based on this kernel.

It looks like there are some saaxxx modules in 2.4.26 but none matches
the exact number you quoted. 2.6.x does have that built in but it is
still not really ready for prime time (although it is very very close).

-- Fernando