[PlanetCCRMA] Any advice for building a linux-based pro studio piece by piece?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Sep 20 14:39:01 2004

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 02:54:49 -0600, Brian Jarrett wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Since I've posted this I went back to the ardour website and see that they claim they'll work. QUOTE: "You can mix any number of tracks that your hardware can handle, and you can use both MMC and generic MIDI control surfaces to manage the mix without developing wrist injuries or despising your laptop touchpad."
> (Now why didn't I see that before?)
>
> Since that's the case I guess I'd like some comments from those who have actually used this feature and what devices they are using.  I'm assuming that midi support is pretty simple without many caveats, but I'd like confirmation before I just go and buy a midi control surface from someone on ebay.

Jesse Chappel is using one of the new behringer control surfaces, they are
reasoanably priced. I have used an edirol keyboard with midi controls and
the remote function on my mixing desk, but neither of those are
particularly appropraite. You should probably ask Jesse about the
ergonomics of the behringer units, they seem good on paper.

- Steve