[PlanetCCRMA] Network Device Control

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Sep 7 21:45:02 2004

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 02:22:55 -0400, M P Smoak wrote:
> Hi, I'm running pccrma rh9 using kde and liking it. But ...
>
> Under a previous rh/kde system, as user Smoak,I could use Network
> Device Control to disconnect my system from the network.  Under
> rh9 only root can do that.  What's the command to call it from a
> terminal window, so I can su to root and disconnect / re-connect?

You can use "ifdown eth0" (or whatever device) to disconnect one device, or
"service newtork stop" to stop them all.

But, if you go to the netwrok control panel thing and select "Allow all
users to enable and disable this device" you should be able to do it as a
user. If you cant find it, or prefer config files, its the USERCTL
parameter in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

- Steve