[PlanetCCRMA] Removing oss kernel modules in FC2

Leon Kackman assistprior@shastaabbey.org
Sun Nov 28 18:33:02 2004

Hi,

I am pretty new to linux (and to lists like this, my apologies in
advance) and I am attempting to configure the alsa driver in Fedora core
2. I have installed the CCRMA version of FC2 and all has gone well,
thank-you for the work you have done to make it possible. I have three
questions:

I am trying to remove the oss kernel modules and I would like to know
which modules to remove and to know how to turn them off before removing
them? Here is my list (before running alsaconf) and what happens when I
run '/sbin/rmmod':

[root@mtswir104 leon]# /sbin/lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
audio                  37504  0
snd_mixer_oss          18432  1
snd_emu10k1            85512  1
snd_rawmidi            23076  1 snd_emu10k1
snd_pcm                85128  1 snd_emu10k1
snd_timer              23684  1 snd_pcm
snd_seq_device          8200  2 snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi
snd_ac97_codec         63748  1 snd_emu10k1
snd_page_alloc         11016  2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
snd_util_mem            4480  1 snd_emu10k1
snd_hwdep               9732  1 snd_emu10k1
snd                    54532  9
snd_mixer_oss,snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_seq_device,snd_ac97_codec,snd_util_mem,snd_hwdep
soundcore               6496  3 audio,snd
binfmt_misc             7304  1
parport_pc             19520  1
lp                      8236  0
parport                30536  2 parport_pc,lp
autofs4                13828  0
sunrpc                113380  1
e100                   26372  0
mii                     3584  1 e100
ipt_REJECT              4736  1
ipt_state               1536  6
ip_conntrack           25608  1 ipt_state
iptable_filter          2176  1
ip_tables              14208  3 ipt_REJECT,ipt_state,iptable_filter
floppy                 48080  0
sg                     28320  0
scsi_mod               93392  1 sg
microcode               4896  0
nls_cp437               5376  2
msdos                   6912  2
fat                    34112  1 msdos
dm_mod                 33056  0
uhci_hcd               24856  0
button                  4632  0
battery                 6924  0
asus_acpi               8984  0
ac                      3340  0
r128                   86692  2
ipv6                  193760  8
ext3                  104552  2
jbd                    44568  1 ext3
[root@mtswir104 leon]# /sbin/rmmod audio
[root@mtswir104 leon]# /sbin/rmmod snd_mixer_oss
ERROR: Module snd_mixer_oss is in use

Also in looking about, I do not appear to have a modules.conf file, any
thoughts about this?

Thanks for your help.

Leon