[Fwd: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] New Apt problems]

William M. Quarles walrus@bellsouth.net
Sun Nov 28 09:03:57 2004

-------- Original Message --------
From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] New Apt problems
To: William M. Quarles <walrus@bellsouth.net>
CC: nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU

On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 17:49, William M. Quarles wrote:
> Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

BTW, thanks for being so patient...

> >>It can be installed, so which computer has the problem here?
> >>
> >>[root@resistance root]# apt-get install libmad
> >>Reading Package Lists... Done
> >>Building Dependency Tree... Done
> >>The following NEW packages will be installed:
> >>   libmad
> >>0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 removed and 769 not upgraded.
> >>Need to get 80.1kB of archives.
> >>After unpacking 131kB of additional disk space will be used.
> >>Get:1 http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/1/i386/freshrpms libmad
> >>0.15.1b-3.1.fc1.fr [80.1kB]
> >>Fetched 80.1kB in 4s (16.0kB/s)
> >>Committing changes...
> >>Preparing...                ###########################################
> >>[100%]
> >>    1:libmad                 ###########################################
> >>[100%]
> >>Done.
> >>[root@resistance root]#
> >
> > Strange. Unless there is a conflict between libmad from freshrpms and
> > libmad from Planet CCRMA. Do the problematic packages install now?
> >
> Ah, it did try to install from FreshRPMs, didn't it?  Hey, I didn't
> notice that.  I sure wish that the two repositories had less commmon
> ground.

It is in my plans to try to merge with (at least) freshrpms. There is
unnecessary overlap. The problem for me is that I want also to be able
to be "standalone" for several reasons.

> [...]
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
> Committing changes...
> Preparing...                ###########################################
> [100%]
> Done.
> [root@resistance root]# emacs /etc/apt/sources.list &
> [1] 11797
> [root@resistance root]# apt-get update
> Get:1 http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/1/i386 release [1813B]
> Fetched 1813B in 0s (5698B/s)
> Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/1/i386/core pkglist
> Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/1/i386/core release
> Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/1/i386/updates pkglist
> Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/1/i386/updates release
> Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/1/i386/planetccrma pkglist
> Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/1/i386/planetccrma release
> Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/1/i386/planetcore pkglist
> Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/1/i386/planetcore release
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> [1]+  Done                    emacs /etc/apt/sources.list
> [root@resistance root]# apt-get install planetccrma-audiovideoapps
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.
>
> Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> that package should be filed.

>    planetccrma-audiovideoapps: Depends: alsaplayer but it is not going
> to be installed
>                                Depends: audacity but it is not going to
> be installed
>                                Depends: mpg321 but it is not going to be
> installed
>                                Depends: rosegarden4 but it is not going
> to be installed
>                                Depends: sweep but it is not going to be
> installed                              Depends: terminatorX but it is
> not going to be installed
> E: Broken packages
> [root@resistance root]#
> ****
>
> It looks like we still have the same problem even though FreshRPMs is no
> longer part of my APT configuration.
>
> Let's try installing libmad from Planet CCRMA
>
> ****
> [root@resistance root]# apt-get install libmad
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>    libid3tag rhythmbox
>    libmad
> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 2 removed and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 79.4kB of archives.
> After unpacking 2257kB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
> [root@resistance root]# rpm -q libid3tag rhythmbox
> libid3tag-0.15.1b-3.1.fc1.fr
> rhythmbox-0.6.10-0.1.1.fc1.fr
> [root@resistance root]#
> ****
>
> I guess that's the conflict?  I'll try it again with FreshRPMs in there.

Yes, that's the core conflict, I think!

> ****
> [root@resistance root]# apt-get install planetccrma-audiovideoapps
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>    PVC aeolus alsa-patch-bay alsaplayer ams amsynth ardour audacity avifile
>    avifile-utils bitscope blop brutefir caps ceres ceres3 cheesetracker
>    cinelerra cinepaint clalsadrv clm clm-cmucl clthreads cltl2 clxclient cm
> <snip>
> 0 upgraded, 154 newly installed, 0 removed and 10 not upgraded.
> Need to get 138MB of archives.
> After unpacking 347MB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
> ****
>
> I guess that FreshRPMs' Libmad has something in it that the PlanetCCRMA
> one does not?  Oh well.

Yes. They should be compatible. I'll look into what is different, I want
to be compatible with other repositories. I was, I think, so something
must have changed in freshrpms.

> Out of curiousity, is there a way that I can find out which 10 packages
> are _not_ being upgraded?

If, in those conditions, you do an "apt-get dist-upgrade" you should get
a list of the packages that would be upgraded, you can always say "n" at
the prompt for comfirmation.

Thanks again for tracking this down...
-- Fernando