[Fwd: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] New Apt problems]

William M. Quarles walrus@bellsouth.net
Sun Nov 28 09:02:01 2004

-------- Original Message --------
From: William M. Quarles <walrus@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] New Apt problems
To: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU>

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

>>>So, libmad is not there and apparently can't be installed. The next step
>>>would be to try to find out why:
>>>  apt-get install libmad
>>
>>It can be installed, so which computer has the problem here?
>>
>>[root@resistance root]# apt-get install libmad
>>Reading Package Lists... Done
>>Building Dependency Tree... Done
>>The following NEW packages will be installed:
>>   libmad
>>0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 removed and 769 not upgraded.
>>Need to get 80.1kB of archives.
>>After unpacking 131kB of additional disk space will be used.
>>Get:1 http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/1/i386/freshrpms libmad
>>0.15.1b-3.1.fc1.fr [80.1kB]
>>Fetched 80.1kB in 4s (16.0kB/s)
>>Committing changes...
>>Preparing...                ###########################################
>>[100%]
>>    1:libmad                 ###########################################
>>[100%]
>>Done.
>>[root@resistance root]#
>

> Strange. Unless there is a conflict between libmad from freshrpms and
> libmad from Planet CCRMA. Do the problematic packages install now?
>
> -- Fernando

Ah, it did try to install from FreshRPMs, didn't it?  Hey, I didn't
notice that.  I sure wish that the two repositories had less commmon
ground.  Well, for fun, let's remove the libmad package, remove
FreshRPMs from my configuration, and try again with the original packages.

****
[root@resistance root]# apt-get remove libmad
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
   libmad
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 removed and 769 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 131kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Committing changes...
Preparing...                ###########################################
[100%]
Done.
[root@resistance root]# emacs /etc/apt/sources.list &
[1] 11797
[root@resistance root]# apt-get update
Get:1 http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/1/i386 release [1813B]
Fetched 1813B in 0s (5698B/s)
Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/1/i386/core pkglist
Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/1/i386/core release
Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/1/i386/updates pkglist
Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/1/i386/updates release
Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/1/i386/planetccrma pkglist
Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/1/i386/planetccrma release
Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/1/i386/planetcore pkglist
Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/1/i386/planetcore release
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
[1]+  Done                    emacs /etc/apt/sources.list
[root@resistance root]# apt-get install planetccrma-audiovideoapps
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

   planetccrma-audiovideoapps: Depends: alsaplayer but it is not going
to be installed
                               Depends: audacity but it is not going to
be installed
                               Depends: mpg321 but it is not going to be
installed
                               Depends: rosegarden4 but it is not going
to be installed
                               Depends: sweep but it is not going to be
installed                              Depends: terminatorX but it is
not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
[root@resistance root]#
****

It looks like we still have the same problem even though FreshRPMs is no
longer part of my APT configuration.

Let's try installing libmad from Planet CCRMA

****
[root@resistance root]# apt-get install libmad
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
   libid3tag rhythmbox
   libmad
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 2 removed and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 79.4kB of archives.
After unpacking 2257kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
[root@resistance root]# rpm -q libid3tag rhythmbox
libid3tag-0.15.1b-3.1.fc1.fr
rhythmbox-0.6.10-0.1.1.fc1.fr
[root@resistance root]#
****

I guess that's the conflict?  I'll try it again with FreshRPMs in there.

****
[root@resistance root]# apt-get install planetccrma-audiovideoapps
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
   PVC aeolus alsa-patch-bay alsaplayer ams amsynth ardour audacity avifile
   avifile-utils bitscope blop brutefir caps ceres ceres3 cheesetracker
   cinelerra cinepaint clalsadrv clm clm-cmucl clthreads cltl2 clxclient cm
<snip>
0 upgraded, 154 newly installed, 0 removed and 10 not upgraded.
Need to get 138MB of archives.
After unpacking 347MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
****

I guess that FreshRPMs' Libmad has something in it that the PlanetCCRMA
one does not?  Oh well.

Out of curiousity, is there a way that I can find out which 10 packages
are _not_ being upgraded?

Peace,
William