[PlanetCCRMA] New Apt problems

William M. Quarles walrus@bellsouth.net
Sat Nov 27 14:47:01 2004

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 19:43, William M. Quarles wrote:
>
>>Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

>>>Could you please post the output of one of the install commands?

>>>And? What is the exact error message?
>>
>>[root@resistance root]# apt-get install alsaplayer audacity mpg321
>>rosegarden4 sweep terminatorX
>>Reading Package Lists... Done
>>Building Dependency Tree... Done
>>Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
>>requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
>>distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
>>or been moved out of Incoming.
>>The following information may help to resolve the situation:
>>
>>The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>   alsaplayer: Depends: libmad.so.0
>>   audacity: Depends: libmad.so.0
>>   mpg321: Depends: libmad.so.0
>>   rosegarden4: Depends: libmad.so.0
>>   sweep: Depends: libmad.so.0
>>   terminatorX: Depends: libmad.so.0
>>E: Broken packages
>>[root@resistance root]#
>>
>>That means that the file isn't there, right?

>>>Yes, it should do that. But most probably libmad cannot be installed
>>>because it conflicts with something you have installed. Again, the exact
>>>output would be helpful.
>>>
>>>Do you currently have libmad.so.* installed?
>>>  ls /usr/lib/libmad.*
>>>If so, which package owns it?
>>>  rpm -q -f /usr/lib/libmad.*
>>
>>[root@resistance root]# ls /usr/lib/libmad.*
>>ls: /usr/lib/libmad.*: No such file or directory
>>[root@resistance root]#
>>
>>Sorry, I guess that I should have done that or been more clear from the
>>beginning.
>

> Exact error messages are important to be able to diagnose the problem.
>
> So, libmad is not there and apparently can't be installed. The next step
> would be to try to find out why:
>   apt-get install libmad

It can be installed, so which computer has the problem here?

[root@resistance root]# apt-get install libmad
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
   libmad
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 removed and 769 not upgraded.
Need to get 80.1kB of archives.
After unpacking 131kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/1/i386/freshrpms libmad
0.15.1b-3.1.fc1.fr [80.1kB]
Fetched 80.1kB in 4s (16.0kB/s)
Committing changes...