[PlanetCCRMA] Apt problems

William M. Quarles walrus@bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 24 14:53:01 2004

Fernando,

Thanks for the information.  I see that kind of came up earlier this
week, but I didn't go back to see the much older message before I sent
this.  Stupid me.

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 00:42, William M. Quarles wrote:
>
>>up2date does not seem to like the header information from the
>>PlanetCCRMA Apt repository.  It keeps coming up with extraneous file
>>conflicts.
>

> Do you have examples? I don't use up2date so I don't know what happens
> when you use it (BTW, how do you configure it to use apt repositories?)

Below is my Up2Date configuration file (/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources,
minus some earlier comments in the file).  It has both Apt and Yum
examples.  I've put blackslashes in where Mozilla Mail wrapped the
lines.  Hopefully your e-mail client doesn't try to wrap it more, or
we'll be in a bigger mess.  BTW, I've tried ftp rather than http on
other computers and it seems to also work when the server is set up for
both services.

I use three different Apt reopsitories, and there other two never caused
file conflicts.  The Planet one always comes up with conflicts when two
different packages install the same directory (which is meaningless, but
I can't bypass it).  Note that for my Fedora Core 1 updates I was using
a Fedora mirror rather than the actual RedHat server: faster downloads
and no corrupted packages.  I could probably reorder them all for
preference in downloads, but I haven't bothered to.  (Besides, the
Fedora Core updates are no longer maintained, so who cares?)  Here we go:

*BEGINNING* *OF* *FILE*

### an apt style repo, this time arjanv's 2.6 kernel repo
### format is:
### type  channel-label      service:server	    path        repo\ name

#apt arjan-2.6-kernel-i386 http://people.redhat.com ~arjanv/2.5/ kernel

apt PlanetCCRMA_fc1 http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/apt \
fedora/1/i386 core updates planetccrma planetcore
apt FreshRPMS_fc1 http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/1/i386 \
core updates freshrpms
apt Macromedia_Flash_fc1 http://ruslug.rutgers.edu/macromedia/apt \
fedora/1 macromedia

### Note that for apt repos, there can be multiple repo names specificed
### space seperated.

### an yum style repo
### format:
### type  channel-label     url

# Fedora Legacy FC1 os repository
yum os http://download.fedoralegacy.org/fedora/1/os/i386/
# Fedora Legacy FC1 updates repository
yum updates http://download.fedoralegacy.org/fedora/1/updates/i386/
# Fedora Legacy FC1 legacy-utils repository
yum legacy-utils \
http://download.fedoralegacy.org/fedora/1/legacy-utils/i386/

# Here I've replaced the normal Fedora Core channels with those from \
the (unlisted) VPI&SU mirror

yum vt-fedora-core-1
http://mirror.cc.vt.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/os/
yum vt-updates-released
http://mirror.cc.vt.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/1/i386/

#yum fedora-core-1 \
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/$ARCH/os/
#yum updates-released \
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/1/$ARCH/
#yum updates-testing \
http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/testing/fedora-core-1

yum crash-hat http://crash.fce.vutbr.cz/crash-hat/1
#yum crash-test http://crash.fce.vutbr.cz/crash-hat/testing/1

### an local directory full of packages
### format
#dir my-favorite-rpms-i386-9 /var/spool/RPMS/

# multiple versions of all repos except "up2date" can be used. Depenencies
# can be resolved "cross-repo" if need be.

*END* *OF* *FILE*

Peace,
William