[PlanetCCRMA] Re: El-cheapo: How to test 3 cards simultaneously?

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc@rncbc.org
Wed Nov 24 06:26:01 2004

Timo Sivula wrote:

> Then, maybe this is a more intimate ;) question: I found out I can start
> three separate instances of Jackstart, one for each soundcard. However,
> nly one of these instances appears in qjackctl for me to use as
> alsa_pcm. Any way to make it possible to see the two other cards also?

That's true. As a client, qjackctl can connect to only one jackd server at
once given time. AFAICT, this is a current limitation of the JACK API, for
which qjackctl strictly complies.

I think there's something in the works on the JACK API arena, something
like the new jack_client_open() function call, that might open the way for
client applications select which jackd server to connect. Sincerely, I
don't know if this will ever solve your problem, but it's a step forward.

OTOH, I don't even know if clients connected to one server will ever chain
audio into other running servers, or if the client:port space will be
uniquely shared among the several servers, letting you connect client
ports across servers (that is, soundcards).

Probably, someone better informed would step in?

Bye.
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc@rncbc.org