[PlanetCCRMA] More NEWBIE stuff: soundfonts, ardour, rosegarden, etc.

Crispin cc26@ohm.york.ac.uk
Wed Nov 17 09:42:00 2004

I'm afraid the newbie "howtos" aren't that pervasive yet, but the capability
you want is there.

Soundfonts can be loaded to the sblive under linux with a program called
sfxload (I've never seen any docs, but all you need to type is "sfxload
myfont.sf2" and it happens).

For more control, you can play soundfonts in software with fluidsynth.

As to some midi sequencer to trigger the soundfonts, MusE integrates nicely
with fluidsynth and some audio.

To make your own soundfonts, prepare samples with audacity, and then package
them up to a font with swami (which isn't too intuitive at first but is easy
to use once mastered).

LinuxSampler (which I've never used) also looks like it does soundfont type
stuff, it may be better than audacity/swami for creating them but I don't
know.

hth

--
Crispin Cooper