[PlanetCCRMA] Best performance?

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Tue Nov 16 10:29:01 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 18:13:23 +0000, Steve Harris
<s.w.harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 09:36:32AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Again, I'm open to whatever set of plugins people think makes sense.
> > With this set of plugins it looks like I'm far less CPU bound and more
> > disk bound on my system so maybe these 5 don't push things hard
> > enough? (Or I just have some CPU headroom...)
>
> You'd expect that on a laptop, the disks are generally slow - o are you
> using exernal firewire disks?

Right. For this quick test I just used my internal drive although I do
have a 1394 drive handy so  I'll give it a try with that. I wish I
could figure out how to copy a track in Ardour, plugins and all. Seems
that I have to add the tracks as one step, then I can copy & paste all
5 plugins in a second step, and then the thrid step is to enable all
the plugins after the copy. Takes a while to set all of this up.

> BTW, I'm intereted to fix the hang you reported. I think it might be
> realted the the CPU usage bug in SC4.

I've run the test again a few times and it hasn't crashed again, but
it was a pretty severe crash. I couldn't ssh in or anything. How would
I get you info on this if it turns out SC1 has some problem like the
one you are thinking about?

Or do you want me to try specific plugins? Right now I kept every
plugin chain pure mono since I don't really understand what Ardour
does when you start using multi-channel plugins on a mono track. I
wrote a message to Ardour-Users last week asking some questions but
got no responses. I presume that means no one reading either knows or
cares.

Let me know what you'd like to try.

 (I'm still using beta_19 BTW. Probably should update. I think Jesse
said there were a number of fixes.)

- Mark