[PlanetCCRMA] 2.4.20-31.1.caps.rh90.ccrmasmp kernel not installing

Wed Nov 10 20:13:03 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 16:37, Noah Garrett Wallach wrote:
> okay I am building another ccrma machine and arriving at a strange issue.

Enterprise Linux again? Sigh. Unsupported!!

> I can install 2.4.20-31.1.caps.rh90.ccrma fine but I cant install
> 2.4.20-31.1.caps.rh90.ccrmasmp
>
> any clues what is going on here:
>
> --- snip ---
>
> [root@dhcp-183-1-168-192 root]# rpm -q kernel
> kernel-2.4.21-20.EL
> kernel-2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma
> kernel-2.4.20-31.1.caps.rh90.ccrma

Pay attention!, you are querying for the up kernel, try:
rpm -q kernel-smp

> [root@dhcp-183-1-168-192 root]# apt-get -o RPM::Install-Options::=--oldpackage
> install planetccrma-core-redhat-smp
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> planetccrma-core-redhat-smp is already the newest version.
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 removed and 19 not upgraded.

Then it is installed.

> --- snip ---
>
> but the smp is not in the grub.conf file:

What error messages did you see when installing the smp kernel?

Most probably something in the postinstall scripts failed and that means
grub was not updated (although the kernel is probably there). Guessing
again, most probably you will not find an initrd image for the new
kernel either (in /boot). As to what failed, that is for you to find
out. Uninstall it and install it again and check the output of the
install process for error messages.

-- Fernando