[PlanetCCRMA] alsa kernel modules: invalid module format

Aaron Heller heller@AI.SRI.COM
Mon Nov 8 14:29:04 2004

--On Monday, November 8, 2004 14:11 -0800 Samuel Sieb <samuel@sieb.net>
wrote:

> Aaron Heller wrote:
>
>> A year or so ago, when I was trying to use alsa kernel modules compiled
>> for i686 on my M9000 (this is a low-power processor that is missing some
>> optional i686 instructions), I did not get invalid module format error
>> messages like the above.  The modules loaded just fine, but then raised
>> SIGILL (illegal instruction) errors the first time the code was invoked,
>> e.g., when alsactl loads the saved mixer settings.
>>

> But you were probably running the i686 kernel, right?  I'm running an
> i586 kernel, but the i586 alsa modules are actually labelled as i686, so
> the kernel says they don't match.

No, that machine runs a i586 kernel.  There was an error in the build
script for ALSA that was causing the modules to be compiled by gcc with
-march 686, but then packaged as i586 rpms.  Apt-get correctly ID'd the
processor as needing i586 rpms and downloaded and installed them.  But the
build error caused the i586 kernel modules to be polluted with i686
instructions (CMOVs to be precise).