[PlanetCCRMA] CD-ROM writing trouble with rh9 caps kernel?

Chris Miles (PlanetCCRMA) PlanetCCRMA@ir.compulink.co.uk
Mon Nov 8 02:32:02 2004

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 10:56, Chris Miles (PlanetCCRMA) wrote:
>

>>I've just had major trouble writing some CDs under RedHat 9.
>>
>>I've been running the caps kernel since I found the hangs with the ll
>>kernel too disruptive - I'd get no keyboard accepted. I liked the disk
>>speed though!
>>
>>I've found that I could write one CD, but a second would fail with timeouts.
>>
>>Yesterday not even the first CD would write, timing out. Since this was
>>for work I decided to try the stock red hat kernel (2.4.20-37.9).
>>
>>I still had to power down, turn off at the mains and wait 10 minutes
>>before it would work and then I was back to normal (apart from the
>>ruined CDs). Phew :-)
>>
>>Any ideas what to look for? I really need reliable CD writing but I want
>>my alsa back.
>>I use an ATA CD with hdc=ide-scsi and xcdroast, etc.
>>

>If the ll kernel has problems with your hardware you could try to
>install the redhat based Planet CCRMA kernel and matching alsa drivers.
>That should work as well as the original redhat kernel (it is not as
>new, of course). It is installed with:
>
>  apt-get install planetccrma-core-redhat
>(for uniprocessor machines)
>
>-- Fernando

Hi Fernando,

I've tried both the "caps" kernel and the "ll" kernels.

I have to give up on the "ll" kernel as the keyboard died regularly. I
liked its speed though.

I'm puzzled by the interaction with CD writing. It gets expensive in
both CDs and the time to cycle the hardware after a problem. At the
moment I'm not clear what I should be monitoring.

Perhaps the capability patches upset the ide-scsi timing.

I've reverted to the current redhat kernel for the moment. I've got ALSA
back by making rpms from the alsa-driver-1.0.4 source. Of course I need
the capabilities patches for JACK don't I?

I may try rolling my own kernel to see if I can track this CD problem
down. I believe the kernel patches you use are on the Planet site?

Chris