[PlanetCCRMA] Jack trouble

Devin Venable dvenable@valornet.com
Sat Nov 6 13:58:02 2004

I'm trying to get rosegarden running on Fedora Core 1.  I got the
packaged RPMs, installed them, and everything went fine after I started
explicitly loading the sequencer alsa kernel module as mentioned in this
post:
http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrma/2003-May/001796.html

Rosegarden loads but I can't detect any midi signals being sent to my
sound card. (Rosegarden reports "No Connection" for general MIDI device
1)

I changed the settings to launch JACK at startup, but received an
error.  When trying to start JACK at the command line, I'm seeing this:

/usr/bin/jackd -d alsa -d hw -r 44100 -p 2048 -n 2

jackd 0.99.0
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ... hw|hw|2048|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to
capture-only mode
cannot load driver module alsa

Any insights?
Thanks!