[PlanetCCRMA] alsamixer not finding audio devices

Noah Garrett Wallach logic@enabled.com
Wed Nov 3 09:49:01 2004

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:46:54 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote
> On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:41:42 -0800, Noah Garrett Wallach
> <logic@enabled.com> wrote:
> >

> <SNIP>
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > got the receommended /etc/modules.conf file in there.  but the modules cant be
> > located.
> >
> > ---- snip ---
> >
> > [root@dhcp-183-1-168-192 etc]# /sbin/depmod -a
> > [root@dhcp-183-1-168-192 etc]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound stop
> > [root@dhcp-183-1-168-192 etc]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start
> > Starting sound driver snd-intel8x0 modprobe: Can't locate module snd-intel8x0
> >                                                            [FAILED]
> > Starting sound driver snd-rme96xx modprobe: Can't locate module snd-rme96xx
> >                                                            [FAILED]
> >
> > --- snip ---
> >
> > my file names could be different here.  so I am dropping the snd- from their
> > definitions.  Am I doing the right thing?
>
> No, this is not right. If you cannot find snd-XXXXX then I think Alsa
> is not on this system.
>
> Did you install Alsa yourself? Did you use the PlanetCCRMA install
> process to get Alsa uploaded and in place?
>
> I think you don't have Alsa installed.
>
> Or, did you build your own kernel and build Alsa into the kernel? you
> are using a version of Redhat (Workstation Version 3) that I am not
> familiar with.

oh god - I dont think alsa is in the kernel.  how do I build it in?  I am
simply lost and never saw any instructions about how to do that.

cheers,

Noah