[PlanetCCRMA] alsamixer not finding audio devices

Wed Nov 3 09:46:01 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 09:41, Noah Garrett Wallach wrote:
> got the receommended /etc/modules.conf file in there.  but the modules cant be
> located.
>
> ---- snip ---
>
> [root@dhcp-183-1-168-192 etc]# /sbin/depmod -a
> [root@dhcp-183-1-168-192 etc]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound stop
> [root@dhcp-183-1-168-192 etc]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start
> Starting sound driver snd-intel8x0 modprobe: Can't locate module snd-intel8x0
>                                                            [FAILED]
> Starting sound driver snd-rme96xx modprobe: Can't locate module snd-rme96xx
>                                                            [FAILED]
>
> --- snip ---
>
> my file names could be different here.  so I am dropping the snd- from their
> definitions.  Am I doing the right thing?

2.4.x does not come with alsa drivers in the kernel source tree. You
have to download the alsa-driver source rpm and build it for the kernel
you are running. The build will give you alsa-kernel-* packages you
should install (they should match your kernel).

-- Fernando