[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Other repositories

Wed May 26 19:01:01 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 11:31, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 05:15:17PM +0100, Nathaniel Virgo wrote:
> > Axel Thimm wrote:
>
> > > I know ATrpms works well with PlanetCCRMA. Some repos that more or
> > > less work together are outlined at
> > >
> > > http://atrpms.net/repos/
> > >
> > > You may find some rough edges, which you can help iron out by filing
> > > bugs against the common bugzilla at bugzilla.atrpms.net.
>
> > I tried adding the lines for ATrpms to /etc/apt/sources.list, but when I
> > run apt-get dist-upgrade I get the following.  I'm guessing I don't
> > really want to install a new kernel or upgrade apt, so what do I do
> > here?
>
> The new kernel installs is unfortunately an apt/yum issue, where when
> asking for some kernel-module apt/yum pick one w/o checking what
> kernels are installed. You may end up even having apt suggest
> installing smp kernels on not smp machines and vice versa.
>
> I suggest to look at "apt-get upgrade"'s output first, which should be
> far more well behaved. Installing kernel modules should be done with
>
> apt-get install kernel-module-foo-`uname -r`
>
> ATrpms supports the PlanetCCRMA kernels where ever possible, so most
> kernel modules exist for PlanetCCRMA (some that require patching the
> kernel don't).
>
> From the list you posted the only really alarming note was:
> > The following packages will be REMOVED:
> >  planetccrma-core
>
> I cannot understand what wants to remove (only) this package.

I think I do.

That meta package is the one used to install the Planet CCRMA kernel and
alsa. It asks for specific versions so that there is no possible
confusion of kernels, alsa modules and so on and so forth, if you
install planetccrma-core you get the right kernel and alsa for your
machine (or for an smp machine if you install planetccrma-core-smp and
so on and so forth). The version number of alsa is higher in atrpms than
in Planet CCRMA (1.0.4-28 > 1.0.4-1)[*]. So apt figures that it is good
to update alsa, but then the specific versions called for in planetcore
are not satisfied and it is erased.

Probably the best thing would be to force apt to ignore alsa packages
from other repos (unless you specifically want them for some reason).
That could be done by adding the alsa packages to /etc/apt/apt.conf in
the "Ignore" list, I guess.

-- Fernando

[*] why -28? I could not access the specs or src.rpms to find out...