[PlanetCCRMA] xruns with jack, ardour

Joe Hartley jh@brainiac.com
Fri May 14 05:06:02 2004

On Fri, 14 May 2004 12:14:02 +0100
"Crispin" <cc26@ohm.york.ac.uk> wrote:
> 1. When jack reports an xrun, ardour stops recording (MusE crashes).  Is
> this expected behaviour?

I don't use MusE, but in Ardour there's an option to set whether it
will continue recording if it sees an xrun.  It's set to stop by
default.

> 2. If with no other processes running (aside from jack and all of gnome!) I
> try to record audio, ardour might run for 3-5 minutes and then I get an xrun
> - so it stops.  With other processes running such as seq24, xruns occur more
> frequently (particularly when switching between windows).  Is it possible to
> solve this?

In my experience, Gnome is a resource hog that virtually guarantees
xruns.  I've gone to fluxbox as my window manager, and I don't miss
Gnome's bells and whistles at all.  At the very least, try turning off
the Gnome option that keeps looking to see whether you've inserted a CD.

Definitely check out Jan's page on installing and configuring JACK and
Ardour, especially the performace sections:

http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/ALSA_JACK_ARDOUR.html