[PlanetCCRMA] Problems startig jackd

Don Levey planetccrma@the-leveys.us
Mon May 3 12:22:01 2004

First, please excuse me if this is a question which shows up a lot.  While I
tried looking in the archives, I was unsuccessful in finging a way to search
properly.

I was referred to PlanetCCRMA by a recent article in Linux Journal on
digital recording.  The Ardour application looked good to me, and so I
installed it (and the dependencies).  However, I am unable to start jackd.
When I use the following command:
	jackd -d alsa -d hw:0
I get the following output:

"[don@dauphin don]$ jackd -d alsa -d hw:0
jackd 0.98.0
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 3.936 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 5.866 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 1.557 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.899 msecs
jack main caught signal 2
Segmentation fault"

(terminated by ctrl-c, blank lines removed)

Running qjackctl gives me the following output in the output window"
"5:00:21.072 Statistics reset.
15:00:21.167 Startup script...
15:00:21.168 artsshell -q terminate
15:00:21.365 MIDI connection graph change.
sound server terminated
15:00:22.403 Startup script terminated successfully.
15:00:22.460 JACK is starting...
15:00:22.460 /usr/bin/jackstart -R -t500 -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p1024 -n2
15:00:22.493 JACK was started with PID=7628 (0x1dcc).
jackstart: cannot get realtime capabilities, current capabilities are:
           =ep cap_setpcap-ep
    probably running under a kernel with capabilities disabled,
    a suitable kernel would have printed something like "=eip"
15:00:22.512 JACK was stopped with exit status=1.
15:00:24.716 Could not connect to JACK server as client."

I am running a 2.6.5 kernel.  I tried to locate low-latency patches for the
2.6 kernels, but was unable to find any.  Some postings I found in Google
indicated that this stuff should "already be in there", but I could not find
which config option(s) should be enabled when compiling the kernel.

I get the above messages no matter which user I'm running under (user or
root).  ALSA is up and running, and I'm able to play sound.  Currently I'm
operating with a sound card on my motherboard (VIA82XXX chipset) though
hopefully I will change that soon.

Any thoughts on what to do, and/or what kernel parameters to change when
compiling?

Thanks in advance,
 -Don