[PlanetCCRMA] problems running jack Server

Thu Mar 25 10:12:01 2004

>   I've got all of the alsa driver loaded, now i'm trying to get this jack
> server running so i can connect to it via xmms, audacity, hydrogen, etc.
> I run the jackstart as described (jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw -r 44100),
> but when i fire up Xmms and hydrogen and select jack, they give me erros
> like "
> ERR: JACK_OpenDevice:jack server not running?
> after JACK_Close()"
>
> Here's the output of the jackstart
>
> jackd 0.94.0
> Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details

> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|rt|32bit
> control device hw:0
> configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
> Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
> Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
> Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead

It looks like it is running normally. Are you starting it as a normal
user? (not root), and if that is the case, did you start it as root
before? You should check that the fifos that jack uses have proper
ownership:

  ls -l /var/lib/jack/tmp/

Sometimes permissions can be left in the wrong state and the outcome is
that the clients cannot connect to the server.

Could you try, for example, freqtweak? (which is a "jack only"
application). Or see if jack_lsp lists all the ports of the jack server?
(it is part of the jack-audio-connection-kit-example-clients package).

On xmms you have to select the proper jack output plugin, in hydrogen
you may have to start it again after selecting jack in its preferences.

-- Fernando