[PlanetCCRMA] Help: CCRMA Kernel 2.4.26 unstable

Sat Jun 19 11:09:02 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 06:44, Mikael Konttinen wrote:
> This is the situation, running on a Shuttle SN41G2 with Athlon XP 2600+, 512MB,
> nForce2 GFX/SND/NIC.  I've followed the Planet CCRMA installation instructions
> as close as possible, though had to update some components inbetween to get
> compilation working.

I don't follow, to compile what? You mean installing the development
tools so that you can build kernels and all that?

> I've made a clean install of RHFC1 w/ APT and updated glib etc. with apt-get.
> Installed the 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl.caps.rhfc1.ccrma kernel that compiles and works
> just fine after several reboots and reinstallations of network drivers. Ended up
> using Nvidias own drivers to get the NIC working.

I see, looks like the motherboard is too new for the FC1 kernels...

> Installed the 2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrma kernel with sources. The orginal kernel is
> extremly unstable and hangs

It would be good to get more details. Does it recognize all the onboard
peripherials? Network? Video stuff? Meaning, does it boot? (the original
kernel, no additions or changes). Where does it hang if it cannot boot
cleanly?

> so I've tried to recompile the sources several times
> with different settings.

What is it that you have changed?

> For a long while I thought it was the Forcedeth drivers
> that hung the machine, as they wont compile properly as modules and when booting
> the 2.4.26 kernel a lot of network related errors occure, though when compiled into
> the kernel no errors are displayed.
>
> For some strange reason Forcedeth continued to load even though I had them unchecked
> in the menuconfig.

Is this for the kernels you are building? If so, and if you are not
changing the version number, the old installed modules will not be
removed when you install a newly compiled kernel (the build does not
know there was a previous build that installed something else).

> Finally I removed them manually from my system and recompiled the
> kernel, hoping for a stable system so that I could install the Nvidia drivers instead. But, the system is still very unstable, and by that I mean that the machine hangs completely after starting virtually any application, forcing a hard boot.
> I have googled and searched the list but haven't found any clues of what to do next.
>
> The only thing I can find in the system logs are that IP-tables fail on boot, but
> on the other hand I'm not sure what to look for. Maybe I'm on the wrong track.
>
> Any help appreciated!

It is hard to say what would be best.

Exactly when does the system hang? I would start again from a plain
2.4.26-1.ll (making sure there is nothing left of your additions or
changes) and try to document exactly where and how things are failing.
AFAIK 2.4.26-1.ll does have support for the nforce2 chipset and
peripherials...

Sorry you are having so many problems...
-- Fernando