[PlanetCCRMA] How to install the RedHat updates cdrom?

Sat Jun 19 10:42:02 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 22:28, Robert Hamilton wrote:
> I'm new to Linux and trying to install the planet CCRMA package. The
> procedure is a bit confusing; so, before I mess up, I thought I'd ask
> a few questions. The main point of confusion is: At what point do i
> install the RedHat 9 update files on the
> "planetccram-updates-9-20040425.iso" CDROM?
> Furthermore, how do I perform the updatewithinthis iso? I have looked
> within the RedHat manuals, and it is very vauge as to CDROM updates.
> Everything is network/internet oriented. (My ISP, StarBand, will only
> work with Windows--so sad!)
>
> Do I install apt first, then the RedHat updates iso, next the core,
> and finally the applications (I noticed an apt database on the updates
> CDROM.) Or should I follow some other order?

I would first install core, then the apps and finally the updates (using
an "apt-get dist-upgrade"). If you do an "apt-get dist-upgrade" as the
first thing you may not get the proper core components installed because
of the weird way that apt handles some dependencies (specially the
kernel). Nothing that a subsequent core install would not fix.

> And again, to reiterate: How does one  install the RedHat updates from
> the above referenced iso?

You should use "apt-cdrom add" first to "feed" all cdroms, including the
updates cdrom, to apt, so that it knows what is inside each cdrom (and
also comment out the network urls in /etc/apt/sources.list if you do not
have a working net connection). After you do that you can install core,
applications and then do an "apt-get dist-upgrade" to get everything
else.

-- Fernando