[PlanetCCRMA] No sound from SB Live!

Tue Jun 15 10:14:01 2004

> Finally, out of frustration, I decided to try again, this time with
> Agnula on top of Fedora 1.
> Reloaded Fedora 1,  installed Agnula, and this time the SB Live! works.
> Still thinking it was a module issue, I copied the "modules.conf" file
> from the working Agnula - SB Live setup. I then reinstalled Fedora1 and
> CCRMA, with the working "modules.conf" file.  Here it is by the way.
> alias eth0 e100
> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
> options snd major=116 cards_limit=1
> options snd-emu10k1 index=0
> alias usb-controller usb-uhci

Looks good to me.

> Still no sound....
> Is it "kudzu" in Agnula that made the difference? Any suggestions on how
> to troubleshoot?

No, that should not make a difference, kudzu merely recognizes new
devices and adds any incantantions needed to modules.conf (and maybe
other things, I don't know). The culprit is probably the difference in
versions of ALSA. Which ALSA/kernel are you using under Planet CCRMA
("rpm -q alsa-driver" to find out). Which one (if you remember) in
RehMudi?

> Is this actually a question for the Alsa guys?

Depends. As you say you did, I assume you played with all the mixer
controls in alsamixer or gamix, right?. What program are you using to
check sound output?

-- Fernando