[Fwd: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] Sysex utility?]

Louis van Dompselaar louis@dompselaar.org
Mon Jun 14 15:16:01 2004

This should, of course, have gone to the list (sorry Frank)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] Sysex utility?
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:25:30 +0200
From: Louis van Dompselaar <louis@dompselaar.org>
To: Frank van de Pol <fvdpol@coil.demon.nl>

> If I recall correctly from time I was playing with a D-10, the Roland 'D'
> series of synths use some kind of handshake for the bulk dumps.

They do indeed, if they're all like my D-110.  However, they only do so
on D-initiated dumps.  It should accept either dump on receiving it
without further settings.  There aren't any settings for receiving
dumps on a D-110.

Only thing I can think of is that memory protection might be turned
on.  The D-110 will fail silently if it is, I assume the D-20 will
be similar.

In the non-handshake mode of the D's, the interval between
sysex messages should be at least 20ms (according the the D-110
service manual), so speed might indeed be a problem, although
again I can't think of it being a problem on a single sysex.

Louis
(who will now plug his D-110 into his Linux box to see if
that responds to anything...)