[Fwd: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] query re: XFree86 4.4]

William M. Quarles walrus@bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 8 18:25:03 2004

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] query re: XFree86 4.4
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 17:55:19 -0400
From: William M. Quarles <walrus@bellsouth.net>
To: Dave Phillips <dlphilp@bright.net>

Hi Dave,

Has he tried installing the updates from Red Hat and the Fedora Legacy
Project (fedoralegacy.org)?  They have numerous fixes for XFree86.
Also, if he upgrades to XFree86 4.4, he'll have to recompile many
applications that depend on XFree86 also.  It's a big mess.

If he really wants XFree86 4.4 and to still stay with Red Hat/Fedora,
the best thing that he could do is upgrade to Fedora Core 2, which has
X.org in it instead, but it's 99.9% the same as XFree86 4.4.  However,
Fernando has had problems getting low latency to work on Fedora Core 2.
  If Red Hat Linux 9 (but UPDATED) does not work for your client, I
doubt that Fedora Core 1 will help.

Peace,
William