[PlanetCCRMA] Low Latency Patch

Tue Jun 8 18:24:02 2004

> I'm running RH9 from a pure install of the Planet CD's from April
> something 2004. I have a slow modem connection to the internet. The
> version I'm running, to be precise, is Redhat 9
> 2.4.20-31-1-CAPS.RH90.ccrma.
>
> The question is do I need to manually install the low-latency patches?

Nope.

> When I get to the chapter in the instructions that talks about setting
> low latency to 1 and I issue the command it says the patch isn't
> installed. Here is the output from the cat command:
>
> [root@mars]# cat /proc/sys/kernel/lowlatency
> cat: /proc/sys/kernel/lowlatency: No such file or directory

That is correct. There are two kernels available. The one you are
booting is the one derived from the RedHat kernel and has a partial low
latency patch. And the patch is not user configurable (by RedHat's
decision).

There is another kernel you could install that has better low latency
characteristics (currently 2.4.26-1.ll). It has less compatibility with
the original RedHat kernel so it might give trouble with some hardware
that works well with the RedHat derived kernel.

See the section on installing kernel and alsa in the Planet CCRMA site,
the one you want to try would be installed by saying:
  apt-get install planetccrma-core
(for uniprocessor machines).

-- Fernando