[PlanetCCRMA] apt-get question

Tue Jul 27 18:29:01 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 23:51, jim ruxton wrote:
> I'm just wondering what the proper way is to handle this situation. I
> installed libquicktime with apt-get but I now want to apply a patch to
> libquicktime. If I try to remove it with apt-get I get the message that
> it also wants to remove :
>  dvgrab gem kino kinoplus libquicktime libquicktime-devel mjpegtools
>   planetccrma-audiovideoapps smilutils timfx
>
> I guess to avoid dependancy problems. Can I just apply the patch to the
> source file recompile and do a make install without removing the old
> version, or do I have to do the apt-get remove and reinstall everything?

The most "proper" way would be to rebuild the package with that patch
applied. That would preserve the integrity of the rpm database. As you
say, you could also install manually "on top" of the installed rpm
package. You would have to take care to install on the same root (that
is /usr instead of /usr/local).

What is the patch for? Is it a well known problem?
-- Fernando