[PlanetCCRMA] Dell M50 anyone? Problems setting up ALSA with alsaconf.

rodney rodney@atr.co.jp
Wed Jul 21 23:26:01 2004

I am setting up planet CCRMA on a Dell M50 Precision workstation laptop.

I have got as far as putting in the ccrma kernel and setting up ALSA as per
the instructions.

When I run /usr/sbin/alsaconf , I get the following messages:
/usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 124: modinfo: command not found
/usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 131: modinfo: command not found
/usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 139: modinfo: command not found

Then, everything else seems fine except there's no sound coming out of
anything.

Everything in the /etc/modules.conf seems fine...

-----
alias eth0 3c59x
alias usb-controller usb-uhci
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.4 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
-----------

The sound card in the M50 is an Intel card that 'should be' compatible with
the intel8x0 chips.

Lspci -v shows it as follows:

----
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio
Controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Cirrus Logic: Unknown device 5959
        I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
        I/O ports at dc80 [size=64]
-----

Any ideas where I should go from here?

Also, is there a quick way of searching through the mailing list archives?

Cheers and thanks,

Rod.

Rodney Berry
ATR Media Information Science Laboratories
Kyoto Japan
rodney@atr.jp
http://www.mis.atr.co.jp/~rodney
Ph:   +81-774-95-1449