[PlanetCCRMA] updated Ardour packages

Sat Jul 17 11:49:02 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 18:14, Florin Andrei wrote:
> Any chance to get a newer version of Ardour in the repository?
> The version offered is 0.9beta11.2 which is almost 5 months old.
>
> On ardour.org the newest version is 0.9beta17.1 - among the most
> important fixes since 11.2 is the JACK transport, which is kinda
> important in "real-life" usage.

True. But AFAIK the newer versions cannot load old sessions without
doing some editing of the xml session file (I forget the details but
there was a big warning on the release after the one I have). That is
why I have been sort of reluctant to release a new version (I have built
it locally just to check that I could still build it :-) I think Paul
says that backwards compatibility is not guaranteed until 1.0.

I could release it on the Planet Edge repository (for testing releases),
or I could just release the source rpm (easy to rebuild). But maybe I
should just release it and see what happens :-)

> Nando, do you need help with the packages? Managing alone such a big
> collection of software must be difficult. Perhaps if you accept
> contributions it would make it easier for you and also keep the packages
> more up-to-date.

Help is always appreciated. The main problem would be that I don't have
yet an infrastrcuture that would support that efficiently. Things like a
spec file or source package for a new package would be easy to accept
(because then I would just build it), updates to current packages would
be more difficult in the sense that I would still have to build them
anyway.

-- Fernando