[PlanetCCRMA] General processing ?

R Parker rtp405@yahoo.com
Wed Jul 14 20:31:02 2004

--- Joseph Dell'Orfano <fullgo@dellorfano.net> wrote:
> All this being said, here's a quick question on
> plugin effects. Is there
> a reasonable software compressor available? I track
> acoustic guitar and
> vocals with a tiny bit of compression, but I'd like
> to mix with
> compression without having to go out of the
> computer. Is Jammin' the way
> to go here?

No. It's a mastering tool. Using it on one track is
overkill and their are faster ways of solving most
problems. AFAIK, you can only run one instance of it.

You can try any of the compressors. The SC series have
different i/o port counts so you'd pick the
appropriate one for any specific track.

 I'm really just a beginner when it comes
> recording/mixing, and the 3-band compression scares
> me just a bit...

If you've got a Master stereo output in the DAW where
all instrument tracks route to, then when you're happy
with the mix try adding JAMin into the JACK graph.
Route the DAW Master ouputs to the JAMin inputs and
the JAMin outputs to your alsa_pcm:playback ports.

If the high end instruments in your mix are dynamic
enough to prevent the master from achieving the amount
of loudness that's desirable, then lower the attack,
raise the release and lower the threshold for the
highend band of the JAMin compressor. Or, if the
problem in the upper register is a specific
instrument, you're mixing with multitrack source so
you can go back to the DAW and adjust the offending
track by lowering the instruments volume or using a
compressor to control its peaks.

In the end, the joy outweighs the confusion. :)

ron