[PlanetCCRMA] Upgrading to Fedora 2

Wed Jul 7 17:58:01 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 16:48, Shelagh wrote:
> I wanted to verify how to upgrade to CCRMA Fedora 2 thru Apt-get. I've
> done a bit of research
> and my understanding is that if I change the sources.list file to read
> http://freesoftware.ircam.fr fedora/2/i386/core release etc.instaed of
> http://freesoftware.ircam.fr fedora/1/i386/core release etc. and run
> apt-get dist-upgrade that this will achieve the
> job. Have I read the information correctly?

It is apparently possible to do that (upgrade using apt). I have never
tried. You don't say from which version are you upgrading, it would be
best if you found a specific example of someone doing an upgrade from
and to the exact versions you have.

> If so, is it worth trying to do if you have a slow internet connection?
> Can you do it abit at a time by using the apt-get -d flag and installing
> when everything has arrived?

I don't really know.

I would probably try to download or get the cdroms and do a proper
upgrade. Even then there can be problems. Anaconda (the RedHat/Fedora
installer) may do things that will not be covered by just upgrading the
packages through. I do remember reading about some caveats but I don't
have any references. An added problem is the change of kernels (FC2 uses
2.6.x).

I usually do complete install when changing versions (plus if you intend
to use jack you should be aware that it is not working completely well
in fc2).

-- Fernando