[PlanetCCRMA] A general Jack question - which bit depth is used?

Jorma R rjorma@sunpoint.net
Wed Jan 14 09:29:01 2004

Hi,

Here is something I have been wondering for a while and did not find in any online documentation:

Jack handles audio with a certain sample rate and other parameters. Ardour saves the recorded audio as 32-bit float. Given that my hardware does the AD conversion with at 16-bit the audio has to bo converted to 32-bit at some point.

At which point does this happen?

In other words:

Does Jack always use the same bit depth for the transmitted audio or is there variation between different Jack clients and settings? If it is always the same, is this bit depth defined by the ALSA settings and the hardware or is it something else?

I read from somewhere that Apple's Core Audio always uses 32-bit depth for the audio it transports. How is it with Jack?

Thanks,

-Jorma
-
Sunpoint.net ilmoittaa:

Sunpoint.net tarjoaa kaikille rekisteröityneille käyttäjilleen kuukausimaksuttoman Internet -yhteyden (pvm).
http://www.sunpoint.net/SunAds/click.htm?mode=footer&id=71&jump=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sunpoint.net