[PlanetCCRMA] Newbie with troubles!

Tue Jan 13 15:52:01 2004

> I downloaded Fedora Core onto my PC, set up a partition for it just fine,
> etc. I have a Athlon processor running around 3200, 1 GB RAM, about 320 GIG
> HD space, an Audigy Soundblaster EX2, and now several headaches. I connect
> to the internet on my PC via a router made by SMC, a barricade cable.dsl
> router (7004) using Knology.net, a local provider. I cannot get my Linux to
> recognize any of the 4 SMC options! I have downloaded the planetccrma image
> disks, burned them fine using a Mac (when I insert them I get a list of all
> the rpm files and the various synth goodies) but I cannot for the life in me
> figure out all the documentation of the planetccrma page!

First question would be: have you been able to install Fedora Core 1 in
the machine and boot into linux? It is not absolutely clear from your
message if you have done so (although I would think you have done that).

> This is not the fault of the brave soul who documented all of this for us,
> it is merely my ignorance. I'm too used to getting around in Windows and on
> the Mac to be able to see past my nose. I had a couple of moments where I
> thought I might have it (I started installing all the RPMS manually but quit
> that after about an hour of figuring out I needed A to install B and so
> forth) but now I'm at a loss. Should I try Red Hat 9 instead?

No, it's gonna be the same.

> Is there
> anyway I can get the internet running? I called SMC and KNology but neither
> one of them support Linux.

I cannot help with the network connection. It is a matter of finding the
right drivers (if they exist!).

But if you have the disks it should be possible to install anyway. After
you have Fedora Core installed the first step is installing and
configuring apt. That program will help you install all the rest and
will figure out the "dependencies" (ie: if to install "a" you need "b"
first, apt will figure it out and install the requirements for you). Try
to follow the install instructions in the web site... let us know how it
goes.

-- Fernando